Central Exchange is proud to host the inaugural Stemmy Gala and Awards celebration, which puts a well-deserved spotlight on the accomplishments of women in the fields of science, technology, engineering, math, and medicine (STEMM) careers across the greater Kansas City area. The event, set for September 25, 2014 at the Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland, will recognize women in STEMM-related careers and provide a forum to share thoughts, advice and experiences.
This year’s honorary co-chairs are Mitzi Cardenas (senior vice president, strategy, business development, and performance integration, chief information officer, Truman Medical Centers) and Perry Puccetti (president & CEO, Triple-I Corporation). Both co-chairs not only advance and promote women professionals within their respective organizations, but they are also active in regional efforts, such as the Central Exchange WiSTEMM Initiative, to grow female STEMM professionals.
“Central Exchange is leading the way in opening doors for women in STEMM fields and recognizing their champions and supporters. I’m honored to co-chair the event as it places WiSTEMM at the head of the table,” explains Ms. Cardenas.
The Stemmy Awards will highlight the following individuals and corporations:
- Robin Stubenhofer, vice president of operations, Honeywell | Groundbreaker Award | Given to a woman with 20+ years in a STEMM field that has made significant contributions to the STEMM community.
- Kansas City Power & Light | Corporate Hero Award | Given to an individual or company that actively promotes women in STEMM.
- Maria Flynn, president & CEO, Orbis Biosciences | Enterprising Innovator Award| Given to an entrepreneurial female STEMM business owner.
- Four Rising Trendsetter Awards | Recognizing women who have demonstrated significant achievements early in their careers:
- Ashley Hand, chief innovation officer, City of Kansas City, Missouri
- Paige Geiger, Ph.D., professor, molecular and integrative physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center
- Tina Peterson, manager, product development, Sprint
- Jennifer Wadella, web developer, MindMixer
- Susan M. Stagg-Williams, professor, University of Kansas School of Engineering | WiSTEMM Educator Award | Given to an individual recognized by her institution as an excellent educator with involvement in STEMM-related student activities
- Anastasia Weston, student, Kansas State University | WiSTEMM Student Scholarship Award | Given to a female college student with professional aspirations related to STEMM fields.
Mr. Puccetti states, "This event will put a well-deserved spotlight on the innovative women who comprise our STEMM community, as well as the leaders and companies who aggressively work to advance and promote them." CiCi Rojas, president & CEO of Central Exchange, concurs, “The Stemmy Awards provide a premier awards gala designed to honor women paving the way in these important and critical fields of STEMM.”
This year’s event sponsors include:
Presenting: Merrill Lynch
Premium: Google Fiber, Polsinelli
Reception: Aratana Therapeutics, Blue Cross Blue Shield, DEMDACO, ECCO Select, Kansas City Power & Light, Perceptive Software, and Triple-I Corporation
Table Sponsors: Hallmark, HNTB, Netchemia, , Truman Medical Centers, Veracity Consulting, Waddell & Reed, Westar Energy, Western Governors University, and University of Kansas Medical Center.
Everyone is welcome to attend the WiSTEMM Gala celebration, set for September 25, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland. See cxStemmys.com for more information.